Thursday, April 8, 2010

springtime is here!

The trees are beginning to bud here in Massachusetts. Yesterday seemed like a summer day, the temperatures were extremely warm for being only early April. Supper was caprese style sandwiches for dinner, yum and easy. Tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella, some spinach thrown in and bread. And a chocolate bunny's head for dessert.

In our household we have all been sick with various ailments for what seems like a very long time, so I am hoping for a window of health for all of us at once, starting immediately. :) Caleb is still dealing with teething so the lack of sleep for both Jacob and I has also been taking a toll. C'mon little molars, pop on through and then we'll be good for a while anyway. The worst part about being in a 2 bedroom condo with 2 kids is that Caleb is still in our room so the transition to the crib has been laughable. I can count on maybe 2 or 3 fingers the nights that he slept the whole time in the crib. Sometimes he sleeps for a few hours in the crib but then always winds up back to the bed when he begins crying in the middle of the night. Yep, we are one of "those" families that co-sleep. I had to laugh at the movie Away we Go when Maggie Gyllenhaal refuses the gift of a stroller and exclaims something to the effect of "why would I want to push my baby away from myself!?" I am very pro-stroller myself, but the poking fun of exreme AP was quite amusing. We are hoping when he is 2 that he will be able to sleep in the bottom bunk in Will's room. And maybe be weaned by then as well. Will went through the same issues although sleeping through the night came a lot sooner and easier to him.

I have been setting up our curriculum for Kindergarten and ordered Math-U-See which I have high hopes for. I have heard rave reviews from other homeschoolers. I wish I had been taught math this way. Some other books and programs we will be using are Five in a Row, Explode the Code, Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten for, well, phonics :) and languages, and Kumon workbooks. We are hoping to use these eclectic resources in a way that revolves around projects that make learning engaging for Will. I love that FIAR does a lot of this around the books they cover so you can build off of what children are most interested in. That is where the real love of learning happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Needham Family Genealogy

Potato Roots